Interest in Datacenters

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
KimChin
Active User
Active User

Interest in Datacenters

Post by KimChin »

I just saw that there seems to be some interest here about Datacenters. I also find the subject interesting, and am just getting involved in this area, so I wouldn't mind exchanging information about the subject here. Well, I am not sure that I can make any contributions until I get a big more familiar with it, but I can definitely learn from others here, who can :-)

I am learning about the various tiers of datacenters, but I have a hard time finding representative lists of existing facilities in each tier. Does anyone have any links to such information?

Also, I agree with some other posters that this general forum/area, that discusses energy, Safety, Radiations, etc. should probably be broken up into smaller sections so we can find related messages a bit easier.

Here are a couple of documents I came upon, as I am starting to study the subject.
Attachments
Data Center Projects - Growth Model.pdf
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 758 times
HIGH PERFORMANCE DATA CENTERS.pdf
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 654 times
Talmus
Casual User
Casual User

Re: Interest in Datacenters

Post by Talmus »

Excellent documents!

A situation I usually find myself in, is when I have to try to explain to someone (a) the concept of datacenters and (b) the differences in Tier-1 to Tier-4 datacenters. And, I am talking about trying to explain it to someone that is intelligent, but not knowledgeable in networks, the cloud, etc.

Is there a document that describes those in simple terms? If so, I'd love to get my hands on it.
WiltonMarks
Casual User
Casual User

Re: Interest in Datacenters

Post by WiltonMarks »

There are lots of documents that explain the tiers. Here are a couple of links that give a few paragraphs in plain English.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/data-cente ... -overview/

http://www.eci.com/blog/40-a-refresher- ... tiers.html