IAEA-The Radiological Accident in Gilan

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
Helen22
Senior User
Senior User

IAEA-The Radiological Accident in Gilan

Post by Helen22 »

IAEA Report-The Radiological Accident in Gilan
Attachments
IAEA-The Radiological Accident in Gilan.pdf
(932.68 KiB) Downloaded 656 times
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - A. Einstein
HowardE
Senior User
Senior User

Re: IAEA-The Radiological Accident in Gilan

Post by HowardE »

I just downloaded and read the report on the gilan accident. I am even more worried about the nuclear option than before. I looked at the pictures at the end of the report and I couldn't believe the damage a small 2 mm ?? piece of radioactive material could do in just 1.5 hours of exposure! Can you image what can happen when a big nuc plan, with millions of times more radiation, fails?

Thank you Helen22 for posting these reports. They are an eye opener.
Anger is a good motivator!
Helen22
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Helen22 »

HowardE wrote:Thank you Helen22 for posting these reports. They are an eye opener.
Howard, I think they may be an eye "closer" for you :-( It seems that you try to find some angle to say something negative about nuclear power, no matter what I post :-(

The physical size of the source might not have been significant, but a 185 GBq Ir-192 (~5 Ci) source is *significant*. Considering that Ir-192 is rated at: 5.9 R/hr/Ci at 1 foot, and the individual placed the source in his pocket (pretty much in contact with his body), one can quickly figure out that in the 1.5 hrs that he kept it there, he probably received a *very* local tissue dose of (assuming the source was 1/4 inc from his skin) over 50,000 R !! (with the dose rapidly dropping away from the location of the source, i.e., his pocket).

(5.9 R/hr/Ci) * (5 Ci) * [(12 in)^2/9(1/4 in)^2)]

This has no parallel with an accident at a nuclear power plant and the doses received from possible radioactive releases to the environment!

Some common sense, please!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - A. Einstein
HowardE
Senior User
Senior User

Post by HowardE »

I think your numbers are wrong and Radiation is Radiation is Radiation and very dangerous!
Anger is a good motivator!