Alternative/Green Energy

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
MikeTil
Active User
Active User

Alternative/Green Energy

Post by MikeTil »

Does TRIUS do any work with alternative/green energy technologies? Solar, bio, anything like that?
Johannes Tass
Casual User
Casual User

Re: Alternative/Green Energy

Post by Johannes Tass »

MikeTil wrote:Does TRIUS do any work with alternative/green energy technologies? Solar, bio, anything like that?
What do people usually mean, when they say green energy? Does it have a specific meaning, or is it just another buzzword?
MikeTil
Active User
Active User

Post by MikeTil »

Well, I don't know how others use it, but to me it has a very specific connotation. It means "a way to generate energy by minimally impacting the environment".

Hope this helps.
Johannes Tass
Casual User
Casual User

Post by Johannes Tass »

I know what it means, I was being coy because a lot of people and companies use the term lightly, simply to make themselves sound important and "cool". I guess the levity was lost in the translation :-(
MikeTil
Active User
Active User

Post by MikeTil »

Johannes Tass wrote:I know what it means, I was being coy because a lot of people and companies use the term lightly, simply to make themselves sound important and "cool". I guess the levity was lost in the translation :-(
I understand, Johannes. However, I still haven't gotten an answer to my original question :-| Does anyone know?
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User

Post by Fedya Rovic »

MikeTil wrote:
Johannes Tass wrote:I know what it means, I was being coy because a lot of people and companies use the term lightly, simply to make themselves sound important and "cool". I guess the levity was lost in the translation :-(
I understand, Johannes. However, I still haven't gotten an answer to my original question :-| Does anyone know?
*News Flash* Nuclear energy is green, in case you were wondering!!
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein
KimChin
Active User
Active User

Post by KimChin »

Fedya Rovic wrote:
MikeTil wrote:
*News Flash* Nuclear energy is green, in case you were wondering!!
Fedya, I like that :-)
MikeTil
Active User
Active User

Post by MikeTil »

Fedya, KimChin are you guys serious? So, what about the thousands of tons of radioactive material that is the byproduct of the process? How do you deal with it without "impacting" the environment?

I am not a nuclear option opponent, but I mean come on, we have to call things by their name!
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User

Post by Fedya Rovic »

MikeTil wrote:Fedya, KimChin are you guys serious? So, what about the thousands of tons of radioactive material that is the byproduct of the process? How do you deal with it without "impacting" the environment?

I am not a nuclear option opponent, but I mean come on, we have to call things by their name!
Relax, Mike. There are different shades of green, you know! If you consider greenhouse gas effects and compare nuclear with the other "established" sources of energy (coal, oil, gas,...) it comes up on the winning side, when it comes to environmental impact. I a not the one saying that, take a look at the 100's of technical reports on the subject, on-line.
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein