Looking for MCNP for Dummies info

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
GradPhys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Looking for MCNP for Dummies info

Post by GradPhys »

Starting to get into MCNP and I am desperately looking for some "MCNP-for-Dummies" type information. Is there such information out there? I guess there has to be some, because most people didn't know about MCNP before they knew about it, so they had to learn it somehow - if that makes sense at all.

Anyway, any references to information, documents, URLs, etc. that would flatten the MCNP learning curve for me, would be great.
Helen22
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Looking for MCNP for Dummies info

Post by Helen22 »

MCNP for Dummies? That's a good one. Not too many dummies would be looking at MCNP, I don't think :-) I'm sure you can find lots of technical papers on specific aspects of MCNP, but a single general reference document may not be readily available. I would take a look at the intro user's manual for MCNP5/6, from RSIC. Of, just search for general Monte Carlo simulation books/reports, not necessarily specific to MCNP. If I come across anything, I'll post it here.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - A. Einstein
GradPhys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by GradPhys »

Well, I didn't really mean "for Dummies", I meant for people that are not familiar with MCNP and the Monte Carlo sampling methodology, in general. There must be some descent introductory text books out there, for sure. The don't have to be "free" technical papers/reports -though free might help, as well :-)
PLeonat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by PLeonat »

Gradphys, I think I found something that looks like what you are looking for. Take a look below and let me know if this helps.
Attachments
MCNP_primer.pdf
MCNP Primer
(956.18 KiB) Downloaded 1023 times
GradPhys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by GradPhys »

Thanks, it looks like it's going to be just what the doctor ordered :-)