Energy Sources of the near future

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
KeltPhys
Casual User
Casual User

Energy Sources of the near future

Post by KeltPhys »

I see all these discussions about nuclear, some (few) about solar, etc. but nobody seems to be touching the "hot" issue of the day.

With the abundance of natural gas (because of fracking), all other energy options all of a sudden seem more expensive and less competitive. It looks like coal will be totally phased out in the near future, oil is being slowly phased out (see electric cars), so what will the energy landscape look like in let's say 10, 20 30 years? Will it just be natural gas, because of fracking supplemented by some solar energy and that's it?

I mean they are the safest forms of energy out there for people, and the environment in general, so it would probably make sense, but what do others think here, is that what will happen?
PLeonat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Energy Sources of the near future

Post by PLeonat »

KeltPhys, welcome to our debate group :-)

You are right, Natural Gas and fracking is a hot issue, but not just because of the economics. You say natural gas is the "safest" form of energy and I've seen that quoted in many references. It may be safe, but the natural gas cycle, in particular including fracking, is not such a clear winner. I think the jury is still out on that, with multiple class action suits pending right now from "thousands" of people that have been harmed by fracking.

In addition to that, natural gas reserves in the world are estimated to be about a ~90 supply, which sounds long, but it really isn't.

Hmm, what will be the energy sources of the next 10, 20, 30 years... I guess, oil, coal, gas, nuclear, solar, hydro, bio,... and may be some new ones that pop up in the meantime.

So, you think that conventional energy sources will be phased out because of electric cars? So, where do you think the energy to charge those car batteries will come from? :-)
KeltPhys
Casual User
Casual User

Post by KeltPhys »

In the not too distant feature, solar/electric cars will be the norm.

I'd like to know more about the bad things about cracking. Any references? Or is it just a feeling? Also where did you see the 90 year reserves thing?
HowardE
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Energy Sources of the near future -Fracking

Post by HowardE »

KeltPhys, here are a bunch of references about how bad fracking might be. I used to be a supporter, until I started reading up on it and realized that we are only given part of the picture. It's pretty bad :-(
Attachments
hydro_penn.pdf
Headaches, Heartache, and Hydrofracking - Haudenosaunee visit Hedgehog Lane in Bradford, PA
(298.88 KiB) Downloaded 828 times
Gassed Report.pdf
GASSED! - Citizen Investigation of Toxic Air Pollution from Natural Gas Development
(2.99 MiB) Downloaded 899 times
fracking-people.pdf
Where the water catches fire!
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 806 times
cracks_in_the_facade.pdf
Cracks in the Façade - 25 Years Ago, EPA Linked "Fracking" to Water Contamination
(918.59 KiB) Downloaded 866 times
Anger is a good motivator!
charles.carlson
Casual User
Casual User

Post by charles.carlson »

Howarde, I'm finding out that at least you are an equal opportunity "opposer" of all energy sources :-)
Never memorize something that you can look up - Einstein