Are SMRs the way of the future?

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User

Are SMRs the way of the future?

Post by Fedya Rovic »

Does anyone in this forum think that SMRs are the way of the future? I mean, I understand the theory behind it and all, but I am not sure that the economics of it will ever work out. I thought one of the reasons *big* nukes were desirable, was the economy of scales, i.e., the large energy output would result in favorable spreading up front capital costs, something that would not be available with SMRs.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind hearing what others here think on the subject.
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein
KimChin
Active User
Active User

Re: Are SMRs the way of the future?

Post by KimChin »

I think SMRs are definitely the way of the future. Sure, the economies of scale may not come into play, but the flexibility of building smaller units (as needed) closer to major distribution network nodes, more than makes up for any economic disadvantage. In addition to that, they are much easier to manage in an emergency situation, which makes a lot of difference, in particular following the terrible accident at Fukushima.
Helen22
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Are SMRs the way of the future?

Post by Helen22 »

Interesting article about SMRs here...

http://climateanswers.info/2011/12/smal ... gy-future/
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - A. Einstein