Nuclear student enrollment ??

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
GradPhys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Nuclear student enrollment ??

Post by GradPhys »

Sorry to be a pain, but part of the talk I will be giving in a couple of weeks will be the increase in interest in the Nuclear field and how universities and colleges are responding to it. I know, for example, that 10-15 years ago, enrollment in nuclear engineering programs was diminishing down to nothing. Has the trend changed in recent years? Is there any reference material on the subject that someone can point me to?

I appreciate and an all help people here can provide!
Talmus
Casual User
Casual User

Re: Nuclear student enrollment ??

Post by Talmus »

GradPhys wrote:Sorry to be a pain, but part of the talk I will be giving in a couple of weeks will be the increase in interest in the Nuclear field and how universities and colleges are responding to it. I know, for example, that 10-15 years ago, enrollment in nuclear engineering programs was diminishing down to nothing. Has the trend changed in recent years? Is there any reference material on the subject that someone can point me to?

I appreciate and an all help people here can provide!
In the 90's, I think the nuclear prognosis and the corresponding nuclear student enrollment, at least in the USA, was not that great. However, even with a couple of bumps along the road, I think that since 2000, thinks have been turning around. Fir students enrolled in B.S. programs, enrollment increased by 62% in 2005 and 167% in 2010, when compared to 2003. For students in M.S programs, those numbers increased to 30% and 130% respectively.

The two documents provided below address both the disappointing state of affairs in 1990 and a lot more detail about the increases I quoted above.

Hope you find them helpful.
Attachments
Nuclear_Student_Enrollment (2011).pdf
(26.18 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
U.S. Nuclear Engineering Education - Status and Prospects (1990)s.pdf
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 667 times
GradPhys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Nuclear student enrollment ??

Post by GradPhys »

Talmus, you are amazing!!!!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Wow!

These forums provide such a wealth of information and of such great quality, I wonder why is it that only a couple of dozen of people are here! I am on a couple of other nuclear-related forums, one run by a *major* university, and although there is lots of specific, narrowly-defined, technical information on them, none has the wide coverage scope and the "excellent" quality reference information I find here. I am impressed and still surprised why hundreds of users are not flocking here.