Scilab exponential interpolation

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
PLeonat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Scilab exponential interpolation

Post by PLeonat »

Howard, I think you are way off in your thinking. I don't know who told you that interpolation only has to be simple, or only linear, or... but whoever it was, they were lying to you :-) The complexity, accuracy, etc. of the interpolation is only limited by the knowledge of the user regarding the process and it can *definitely* be used to interpolate functions of higher than first degree.

I would recommend that you read up on the subject. There are a few sources posted here, but if you want, I can provide you with some more.

After you familiarize yourself with the concept, post back here so we can have an informed discussion.
PLeonat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by PLeonat »

PLeonat wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:32 am Howard, I think you are way off in your thinking. I don't know who told you that interpolation only has to be simple, or only linear, or... but whoever it was, they were lying to you :-) The complexity, accuracy, etc. of the interpolation is only limited by the knowledge of the user regarding the process and it can *definitely* be used to interpolate functions of higher than first degree.

I would recommend that you read up on the subject. There are a few sources posted here, but if you want, I can provide you with some more.

After you familiarize yourself with the concept, post back here so we can have an informed discussion.
BTW, here is a document that might help you.
Attachments
log_interpolation.pdf
(40.52 KiB) Downloaded 1715 times
HowardE
Senior User
Senior User

Post by HowardE »

PLeonat wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:32 am Howard, I think you are way off in your thinking. I don't know who told you that interpolation only has to be simple, or only linear, or... but whoever it was, they were lying to you The complexity, accuracy, etc. of the interpolation is only limited by the knowledge of the user regarding the process and it can *definitely* be used to interpolate functions of higher than first degree.

Sure, if you don't like what I post, then *I* need to familiarize myself with the concept and come back to discuss it :-)

That's so typical of people who think they know better, but actually don't. I am plenty familiar with interpolating, trust me. And, I stand by what I said before, it's primarily good for getting estimates for processes that can be described by simple functions.
Anger is a good motivator!
JimCuren
Casual User
Casual User

Post by JimCuren »

Howard, you post some funny stuff and I am not sure if you are doing just to get a rise from people, or you really don't understand this concept.

Oh, well. I'll leave it alone.
PLeonat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by PLeonat »

Jim, don't pay attention to him. Howard will find something negative in everything that's posted here. You know the type...
KimChin
Active User
Active User

Post by KimChin »

Ditto!

Interpolation is misunderstood and misused by many, unfortunately :-(
JimCuren
Casual User
Casual User

Post by JimCuren »

KimChin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:24 am Interpolation is misunderstood and misused by many, unfortunately
And so is regressions (they go hand-in-hand).
regression.PNG
regression.PNG (39.39 KiB) Viewed 66159 times