Info About Cosmic Radiation ?

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
KeltPhys
Casual User
Casual User

Info About Cosmic Radiation ?

Post by KeltPhys »

I have been having these conversations with a friend whose father is an airline pilot and she has been telling me about the Cosmic Radiation her father has been exposed to, over the years. I am not claiming any expertise in Cosmic Radiation, but I always thought that it did not amount to anything one should be worried about.

Any thoughts?
Helen22
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Info About Cosmic Radiation ?

Post by Helen22 »

If we believe what Dr Thabani S Nkwanyana says (see attached file), 2,000 people a year die because of Cosmic Radiation.

It also says, "The ED rate at an altitude of 8 km (26,000ft) in temperate latitudes is typically up to about 3 microSv per hour (1000 microSv = 1 mSv), but near the equator only about 1 to 1.5 microSv per hour."

It may be exaggerating but it definitely is worth a reading and consideration.
Attachments
In-flight Cosmic Radiation - T Nkwanyana, SAA.pdf
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 1378 times
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - A. Einstein
HowardE
Senior User
Senior User

Post by HowardE »

Helen22 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:21 am It also says, "The ED rate at an altitude of 8 km (26,000ft) in temperate latitudes is typically up to about 3 microSv per hour (1000 microSv = 1 mSv), but near the equator only about 1 to 1.5 microSv per hour."
How does that compare with radiation from other sources?
Anger is a good motivator!
Helen22
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Helen22 »

HowardE, the information you are looking for is in the document? Did you download a read it?
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - A. Einstein
jillrosen
New User
New User

Post by jillrosen »

Here is another document that might help you in your discussions.
Attachments
Health_risks_of_cosmic_rays.pdf
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 1391 times
HowardE
Senior User
Senior User

Post by HowardE »

Helen22 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:30 pm HowardE, the information you are looking for is in the document? Did you download a read it?
Don't get all bent out of shape. I did read it and saw the info in there. I was asking if there is a better, more detailed and complete reference.
Anger is a good motivator!