Formulas for Cylindrical Source

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
GradPhys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Formulas for Cylindrical Source

Post by GradPhys »

I am looking for a set of formulas that provide the Dose Rate at various locations from a cylindrical source. I know I can evaluate this with a number of different software products, but I am looking for the analytical formulas, for a specific project.

I think that whether the source material is self-absorbing, or not, makes a difference, but if I can get the simpler "non-absorbing" ones, I can work on the next, more complex set.

Any pointers you can provide (links, books, etc.) it would be great.
Helen22
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Formulas for Cylindrical Source

Post by Helen22 »

You are better off posting this request on one of the SCI.Nuclear or ALT.Nuclear public newsgroups. Better yet, pick up an intro book on shielding and the formulas should be there.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - A. Einstein
emilygrafton
Casual User
Casual User

Post by emilygrafton »

Schaffer's Shielding Compendium Book would probably have all the formulas you are looking for.
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User

Post by Fedya Rovic »

emilygrafton wrote:Schaffer's Shielding Compendium Book would probably have all the formulas you are looking for.
Rockwell's shielding manual will probably have those equations, too, but I agree that these questions are probably better asked in some general, public physics newsgroup.
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein
GradPhys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by GradPhys »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I found a set of equations in an old LSU manual (it's actually a loose-leaf type manual), with fairly good explanations. I think it will provide what I need for my project.

Thanks again, everyone.