Fukushima - End of US Nuclear Power renaissance?

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
ElecMan
Casual User
Casual User

Fukushima - End of US Nuclear Power renaissance?

Post by ElecMan »

Do posters here think that the Fukushima accident might have been the end of the US Nuclear Power Renaissance that everyone was talking about the last couple of years?

I had read a number of articles proclaiming that it was almost here, but lately I don't see much talk about it.
John HG
Casual User
Casual User

Re: Fukushima - End of US Nuclear Power renaissance?

Post by John HG »

Unfortunately, I think so. I am afraid the accident and the internal NRC turmoil that's going on right now (I'm surprised nobody here is talking about it!) will be the coffin nails for the US Nuclear Power industry :-(

As late as a year ago, I "really" thought that the industry had a chance of a comeback, but not anymore.
Helen22
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Helen22 »

The approval of the the two plants in GA yesterday, may re-spark the Nuclear Power renaissance. The first new licenses to be given in the US since about 1978! And, the chairman of the commissioners, Jaczko, voting NO. What a political hack :-(
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - A. Einstein
KimChin
Active User
Active User

Post by KimChin »

I don't know if he's a political hack, but the fact that the other 4 commissioners votes yes, is encouraging. I can't be certain, but I think that this may now pave the road for a couple of more AP1000 units that have been in limbo for a few years.

I have to say, though, I which there were a couple of SMR licenses issued, soon.