More Fukushima Cs in Europe

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
John HG
Casual User
Casual User

More Fukushima Cs in Europe

Post by John HG »

Reports show *NEW* elevated Cs levels in Europe!!

A very interesting article and an animated images showing Cs transport.

http://www.radioactive.eu.com/index.php ... Itemid=259
Helen22
Senior User
Senior User

Re: More Fukushima Cs in Europe

Post by Helen22 »

I am not saying that I don't believe this, but in this age of misinformation proliferation we all need to be a bit more careful and not always take things at face value. There may be increased levels of Cs detected in Europe, but I'd rather see some more (independent ?) evidence and data as to the levels, source attribution and potential harm.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - A. Einstein
EdMack
New User
New User

Post by EdMack »

I don't know about the veracity of the OP's info, one way or the other. However, since Cs appears to be a hot fukushima topic, I thought this paper may prove interesting to others here...
Attachments
Cesium137_in_Japanese_soil.pdf
Teppei J. Yasunaria, Andreas Stohlb, Ryugo S. Hayanoc, John F. Burkhartb, Sabine Eckhardtb, and Tetsuzo Yasunarie
(1009.78 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
KimChin
Active User
Active User

Post by KimChin »

EdMack wrote:I don't know about the veracity of the OP's info, one way or the other. However, since Cs appears to be a hot fukushima topic, I thought this paper may prove interesting to others here...
Thanks for the paper, EdMack. The way I read it, there may be hot spots in a number of locations around Fukushima, but it's not the "widespread Cs contamination" that I see in other reports. I wonder if the actual measurements on the ground are available somewhere, so one can do their own, quick, back-of-the envelope validation. I know the paper referenced MEXT and a number of other sources, but MEXT appears to have mostly info in Japanese.

Does anyone know where I get real measurement results in English?
HowardE
Senior User
Senior User

Post by HowardE »

Helen22 wrote:I am not saying that I don't believe this, but in this age of misinformation proliferation we all need to be a bit more careful and not always take things at face value. There may be increased levels of Cs detected in Europe, but I'd rather see some more (independent ?) evidence and data as to the levels, source attribution and potential harm.
You know, that's typical "nuclear industry" attitude. If you don't agree with the findings, just discredit the report. You people in the nuclear industry have been doing that for decades. No wonder we don't trust you. Man-up and admit when the industry has screwed up! That's the only way to take the road to acceptance!

BTW, did you see TEPCO's argument in the Japanese courts, a few weeks ago, when they were sued for damages by those who need lots of $$ to clean up their property? They argued that once the Cs left the plants they no longer "legally owned it", therefore they are not responsible for any damage it caused to people or property. Can you believe that? Of course, the court threw their argument out, but can you believe they had the guts to argue something like that?

And then, nuclear people wonder why the general public doesn't trust the industry. Because it CAN'T be trusted, that's why!
Anger is a good motivator!