DCWin on Win7

Info on how to get free copies of TRIUS' CAD programs DRAFTChoice for DOS and DRAFTChoice for Win (16-bit) and messages by users on how to use it. (Discontinued, but still used by many users)
StevePeters
Casual User
Casual User

DCWin on Win7

Post by StevePeters »

Has anyone been able to install DCWin on Windows 7?
BillRotando
Active User
Active User

Re: DCWin on Win7

Post by BillRotando »

Good luck :-( It's a 16-bit program.
If at first you don't succeed, just give up and do something else
corvairbob
New User
New User

Post by corvairbob »

i'm running window 7 and this program is working just fine. like i remember it ran years aog. the best drafting program i ever used. easy as pie and iwll run from a floppy disk. so cool even a memory stick.
BillRotando
Active User
Active User

Post by BillRotando »

You were able to install it and run it on Win7 without any problems? I wonder what I'm doing wrong :-(
RichardG
New User
New User

Post by RichardG »

You and me both, Bill. If someone could list step-by-step directions on how to do it...
StevePeters
Casual User
Casual User

Post by StevePeters »

I still haven't been able to get it to run :-(
gerryh
New User
New User

Post by gerryh »

corvairbob wrote:i'm running window 7 and this program is working just fine. like i remember it ran years aog. the best drafting program i ever used. easy as pie and iwll run from a floppy disk. so cool even a memory stick.
Corvairbob,
I'm also running windows 7 and like the other guys, I can't get the program to load on my computer. I've noticed that there is a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of windows 7. I know that I'm using a 64 bit version and it won't work. Could you be running a 32 bit version?
gerryh
Gene45
New User
New User

Post by Gene45 »

I got some advice on another forum that the thing may run inside Win 7 Pro, or Win 7 32 bit. but not Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit .
Next question is what file formats can it create to let me convert my old files. :o
Gene45
New User
New User

Post by Gene45 »

I'm told that it is possible to install Virtual box or Dos box and run Win 3.1 or XP inside it .
It sounds really simple but I can't get the installation of DOS and Win 3.1 or 3.11 to work.
Maybe someday..............
Gene45
New User
New User

Post by Gene45 »

Can someone advice how to export a file as bmp. The system claims to be able to do it but mine, (old and newly downloaded) refuses to do it as it is an unregistered copy.
RichardG
New User
New User

Post by RichardG »

Gene45 wrote:Can someone advice how to export a file as bmp. The system claims to be able to do it but mine, (old and newly downloaded) refuses to do it as it is an unregistered copy.
Why don't you use the license number provided on this board to register your copy. I was finally able to install it on win7-32 bit and registered it without any problems.
Gene45
New User
New User

Post by Gene45 »

I guess I am giving up. I found Librecad which looks similar to DCWIN, and will import the DXF files produced by DCWIN. It is open source and still under development .

Draftsight is a more complex system that comes in 32 bit and 64 bit versions. It too will import the dxf files produced by DCWIN .

I have both running on Win 7 64.
RichardG
New User
New User

Post by RichardG »

Thanks for posting this. I'll take a look at librecad and draftsight, as well.
BillRotando
Active User
Active User

Post by BillRotando »

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Both Librecad and Draftsight are superb products and after laying with them for only a few minutes, I prefer Librecad because it has all the features I want and almost the simplicity of DCwin.

Thanks, again!
Gene45
New User
New User

Post by Gene45 »

Librecad looks easier, and there are set of video tutorials, not particularly well done, but they work.

Draftsight videos are more professional but each covers only one principle, and I can't say I found how to navigate them.

The one major difference appears to be that Draftsight will draw in isometric. I'm not sure how useful that will be.