Alternative/Green Energy

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
Post Reply
User avatar
MikeTil
Casual User
Casual User
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 am

Alternative/Green Energy

Post by MikeTil » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:16 am

Does TRIUS do any work with alternative/green energy technologies? Solar, bio, anything like that?

User avatar
Johannes Tass
Casual User
Casual User
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: Alternative/Green Energy

Post by Johannes Tass » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:42 pm

MikeTil wrote:Does TRIUS do any work with alternative/green energy technologies? Solar, bio, anything like that?
What do people usually mean, when they say green energy? Does it have a specific meaning, or is it just another buzzword?

User avatar
MikeTil
Casual User
Casual User
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Alternative/Green Energy

Post by MikeTil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Well, I don't know how others use it, but to me it has a very specific connotation. It means "a way to generate energy by minimally impacting the environment".

Hope this helps.

User avatar
Johannes Tass
Casual User
Casual User
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: Alternative/Green Energy

Post by Johannes Tass » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:57 pm

I know what it means, I was being coy because a lot of people and companies use the term lightly, simply to make themselves sound important and "cool". I guess the levity was lost in the translation :-(

User avatar
MikeTil
Casual User
Casual User
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Alternative/Green Energy

Post by MikeTil » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Johannes Tass wrote:I know what it means, I was being coy because a lot of people and companies use the term lightly, simply to make themselves sound important and "cool". I guess the levity was lost in the translation :-(
I understand, Johannes. However, I still haven't gotten an answer to my original question :-| Does anyone know?

User avatar
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: Alternative/Green Energy

Post by Fedya Rovic » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 pm

MikeTil wrote:
Johannes Tass wrote:I know what it means, I was being coy because a lot of people and companies use the term lightly, simply to make themselves sound important and "cool". I guess the levity was lost in the translation :-(
I understand, Johannes. However, I still haven't gotten an answer to my original question :-| Does anyone know?
*News Flash* Nuclear energy is green, in case you were wondering!!
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein

User avatar
KimChin
Active User
Active User
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: Alternative/Green Energy

Post by KimChin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Fedya Rovic wrote:
MikeTil wrote:
Johannes Tass wrote:I know what it means, I was being coy because a lot of people and companies use the term lightly, simply to make themselves sound important and "cool". I guess the levity was lost in the translation :-(
I understand, Johannes. However, I still haven't gotten an answer to my original question :-| Does anyone know?
*News Flash* Nuclear energy is green, in case you were wondering!!
Fedya, I like that :-)

User avatar
MikeTil
Casual User
Casual User
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Alternative/Green Energy

Post by MikeTil » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:43 pm

Fedya, KimChin are you guys serious? So, what about the thousands of tons of radioactive material that is the byproduct of the process? How do you deal with it without "impacting" the environment?

I am not a nuclear option opponent, but I mean come on, we have to call things by their name!

User avatar
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: Alternative/Green Energy

Post by Fedya Rovic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:56 pm

MikeTil wrote:Fedya, KimChin are you guys serious? So, what about the thousands of tons of radioactive material that is the byproduct of the process? How do you deal with it without "impacting" the environment?

I am not a nuclear option opponent, but I mean come on, we have to call things by their name!
Relax, Mike. There are different shades of green, you know! If you consider greenhouse gas effects and compare nuclear with the other "established" sources of energy (coal, oil, gas,...) it comes up on the winning side, when it comes to environmental impact. I a not the one saying that, take a look at the 100's of technical reports on the subject, on-line.
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein

Post Reply