Which PM Certification?

Project Management, Agile Methodologies, Scrum, Software Development, Software Architecture Styles, Development Platforms, and more...
MikeTil
Active User
Active User

Which PM Certification?

Post by MikeTil »

There appear to be a whole bunch of PM certifications and it's hard to decipher which one might be better. Lots of people have told me that the PMI PMP certification is the best, career-wise, but I have also heard that the Agile Professional certification is also good and there are also the Scrum Master, Product Owner, Business Analyst certifications by a number of different outfits. It's really very confusing.

Is one certification better than the others and if so, which one?
jniardo
New User
New User

Re: Which PM Certification?

Post by jniardo »

I wouldn't bother with this agile stuff. For my money, the PMP certification from PMI is the only one worth anything.
Jose Niardo - NE
AaronRT
Casual User
Casual User

Post by AaronRT »

Any certification is good, since it usually signifies that you went through "some" training and was able to successfully pass "some" test. However, like the previous poster, I also think that any certification sponsored by PMI usually carries more weight.
If it takes you too long to refactor than you are not refactoring enough!
TommyD
Casual User
Casual User

Post by TommyD »

jniardo wrote:I wouldn't bother with this agile stuff. For my money, the PMP certification from PMI is the only one worth anything.
Why do you think they are totally unrelated? Good PM is good PM, no matter the approach used! There is actually a series of interesting articles that you may want to take a look at, discussing how Agile practices are related to PMBOK practices.

http://www.stickyminds.com/article/rela ... s-part-1-4
jniardo
New User
New User

Post by jniardo »

Sorry :( I guess I may have used the wrong words. What I meant to say is the PMP certification from PMI carries more weight, like AaronRT said. I am sure that the process of studying for and getting *any* certification, has to be worth something.
Jose Niardo - NE
Paris K.
New User
New User

Post by Paris K. »

I think it's like getting a college degree. Getting a degree from *any* college is considered better than having no degree at all. However, getting a degree form a reputable, well known accredited college is usually considered better.
MikeTil
Active User
Active User

Post by MikeTil »

Thanks everyone for the insightful info. I think I understand and if one can do it, PMI certification would be preferred.

Thanks, again.