Dosimetry Power Point

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
dhimmer
Casual User
Casual User

Dosimetry Power Point

Post by dhimmer »

A very good Power Point on Dosimetry.
Attachments
2010-09-28_Radiation_Hazards_&_Dosimetry_P.pdf
Radiology - Radiation Hazards and Dosimetry
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 843 times
OscarG
Active User
Active User

Re: Dosimetry Power Point

Post by OscarG »

Dhimmer, in going over the material, I saw (slide #19) that the LD(50/30) is 4 Gy. That appears to be higher than the 340 Rem that I believe was the LD(50/30) when we were working with the old units. Did the effect of radiation change or am I may be messing up the conversion somewhere?

The info in slides 51-56 floored me! So, coronary angiography can result in those types of injury? I would have never thought that the radiation doses involved would be of such level! What exactly is causing the high doses?

And the results in slide 72 are also very enlightening. I could have sworn I had seen much larger numbers published in terms of cancer deaths caused by the Hiroshima bomb. So we are talking about only a 5% increase over the normal cancer rate? how defendable are these numbers?
I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work - Thomas A. Edison
dhimmer
Casual User
Casual User

Post by dhimmer »

Hmm... I uploaded the PDF, but it's not *my* material, sorry.

Not sure about the LD(50/30) question (others here may be able to comment). As for the atom bomb numbers, they appear to be similar to other results I have seen from other sources.
OscarG
Active User
Active User

Post by OscarG »

I see. Sorry, it wasn't clear to me. I though you were the creator of the PDF, as well.

Do you have any "other" references that may support the atom bomb conclusions? If you could post them here it would be great.

I wonder if anyone else can comment on the LD(50/30).
I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work - Thomas A. Edison
KimChin
Active User
Active User

Post by KimChin »

OscarG wrote:The info in slides 51-56 floored me! So, coronary angiography can result in those types of injury? I would have never thought that the radiation doses involved would be of such level! What exactly is causing the high doses?
That is very interesting to me, as well. Who would have thought!

I also seem to remember, like you, that a 340 RAM used to be the LD(50/30), in the old days (WASH-1400 era). I guess people may be more resistant to radiation nowadays, or someone messed up the conversion ;-)