Good Basic Shielding Documents

Messages about other areas of TRIUS expertise (Energy, Radiation Safety, Risk,..) and Technology, in general...
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User

Good Basic Shielding Documents

Post by Fedya Rovic »

Hope they are of interest.
Attachments
Shielding_Basics.pdf
(972.62 KiB) Downloaded 1727 times
Chabot_shielding_of_gamma_radiation.pdf
(64.78 KiB) Downloaded 1698 times
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein
dhimmer
Casual User
Casual User

Re: Good Basic Shielding Documents

Post by dhimmer »

Interesting, but something a little more "above" the basic concepts would be better, IMHO.
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User

Post by Fedya Rovic »

dhimmer wrote:Interesting, but something a little more "above" the basic concepts would be better, IMHO.
There are PLENTY of sources of more advanced material. I'm sure a quick Google search would net you lots of them. I just believe that one should understand the basic principles, before they try to tackle more advanced material. If you are already familiar with them, and this material is below your level, just ignore it.
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein
dhimmer
Casual User
Casual User

Post by dhimmer »

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that. All I was trying to say is that I would be interesting is some information about the newer techniques being used nowadays, that's all.
KeltPhys
Casual User
Casual User

Post by KeltPhys »

Fedya Rovic wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:17 pm Hope they are of interest.
I downloaded and read the document Chabot_shielding_of_gamma_radiation.pdf. Very interesting. Who is George Chabot? I like his writing style a lot and would like to read other technical pieces he may have written.
Ian_Tolker
New User
New User

Post by Ian_Tolker »

KeltPhys wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:35 am
Fedya Rovic wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:17 pm Hope they are of interest.
I downloaded and read the document Chabot_shielding_of_gamma_radiation.pdf. Very interesting. Who is George Chabot? I like his writing style a lot and would like to read other technical pieces he may have written.
I have been reading this forum for a while, but have never posted, until I saw Dr. Chabot's name. I had the privilege of taking some courses by Dr. Chabot, at UMass, Lowell - back in the day. He was a professor in the Radiological Health department (I believe he might have been the head of the department). Very knowledgeable, well respected and a very nice person. He was honored a few months ago by the Health Physics Society (see link below). I also added a link I have for another paper of his (he has published hundreds...)

http://journals.lww.com/health-physics/ ... bot.1.aspx (George E. Chabot)

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... of_the_Eye (George E. Chabot)

Fedya, you brought me many years back, when I was still in college. Thank you :-)
Paris K.
New User
New User

Post by Paris K. »

I also had a chance to both study with and later work with George for a while. Not only a great scientist, but a also a good person. I saw that he was honored by HPS. It could not have happened to a better person!
KimChin
Active User
Active User

Post by KimChin »

Hey Paris, did we work together at S&W in the shielding group, or do I have the wrong Paris?
Paris K.
New User
New User

Post by Paris K. »

KimChin wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 am Hey Paris, did we work together at S&W in the shielding group, or do I have the wrong Paris?
I did work for S&W (SWEC) for a few years right out of college, so most probably you have the right Paris :-) The group was called Radiation Protection.
KeltPhys
Casual User
Casual User

Post by KeltPhys »

Another basic shielding document.
Attachments
Radiation_Shielding_MIT22_S902IAP15_lec03.pdf
(821.23 KiB) Downloaded 1520 times
KimChin
Active User
Active User

Post by KimChin »

Paris K. wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:16 pm
KimChin wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 am Hey Paris, did we work together at S&W in the shielding group, or do I have the wrong Paris?
I did work for S&W (SWEC) for a few years right out of college, so most probably you have the right Paris :-) The group was called Radiation Protection.
It sure was called Radiation protection. Wow, it's been a long time.