New ASEASY Users?

Info on how to get a free copy of TRIUS' spreadsheet program AS-EASY-AS for DOS and AS-EASY-AS for Windows and messages by users on how to use it, etc. (Discontinued, but still used by many users)
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User

New ASEASY Users?

Post by Fedya Rovic »

I know that some of us die-hearts still use aseasy for win, but I always wondered if any new computer users even know what it is! I think they should probably teach some intro courses in college (or even high school) on aseasy and other "basic" programs, so that kids that finish school today don't think that computers and programs are just "magic".

Anyway, if anyone knows if there are still new users of aseasy let me know. I remember we had an aseasy users group as part of our school's PCSIG charter. We also had user groups for PC-Write, PC-File... Now kids (and most adults) think that highlighting text and selecting bold, magically changes the text to bold :-( I am not saying that users should have to be computer experts, but if they don;t understand some basic computer concepts, sooner or later they'll get stuck.
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein

Re: New ASEASY Users?

Post by Moderator »

Fedya Rovic wrote:I know that some of us die-hearts still use aseasy for win, but I always wondered if any new computer users even know what it is! I think they should probably teach some intro courses in college (or even high school) on aseasy and other "basic" programs, so that kids that finish school today don't think that computers and programs are just "magic".

Anyway, if anyone knows if there are still new users of aseasy let me know. I remember we had an aseasy users group as part of our school's PCSIG charter. We also had user groups for PC-Write, PC-File... Now kids (and most adults) think that highlighting text and selecting bold, magically changes the text to bold :-( I am not saying that users should have to be computer experts, but if they don;t understand some basic computer concepts, sooner or later they'll get stuck.
Well, it's tough to answer such questions, but TRIUS reports that even though the product was discontinued and support for it stopped years ago, there are still 45-50 downloads a month from their web site (remember, the program can be downloaded from hundreds of other web sites as well).

So, you can draw your own conclusions :-) As for teaching young students about "basic" concepts and computer tools, you may be right, but I don't see it happening.
dhimmer
Casual User
Casual User

Re: New ASEASY Users?

Post by dhimmer »

Fedya Rovic wrote: I am not saying that users should have to be computer experts, but if they don;t understand some basic computer concepts, sooner or later they'll get stuck.
It happens with cars all the time. We know how to drive them, but not how they really work. And, once in a while, we get stuck in the middle of nowhere, not knowing what to do, other than call AAA (thank God for cell phones) :-)