DCWin on Win7

Info on how to get free copies of TRIUS' CAD programs DRAFTChoice for DOS and DRAFTChoice for Win (16-bit) and messages by users on how to use it. (Discontinued, but still used by many users)
kenjen
New User
New User

Re: DCWin on Win7

Post by kenjen »

One of my end users is getting a computer upgrade and has DCWIN software on his existing workstation. He has saved all his DC files in the proprietary .DCW format. What would be the best way to convert these files so they can be opened in other software (LibreCAD, Draftsight, etc)?
StevePeters
Casual User
Casual User

Post by StevePeters »

Unfortunately, I don't think they can be converted outside the program, because their format is proprietary. What you'd need to do is to load the files in draftchoice and save them or export them to dxf, then you can open them in one of the other programs you mentioned.

I could be wrong, and there might be a way to do it, that I am not aware of, so you may want to contact the company directly and ask them.
kenjen
New User
New User

Post by kenjen »

StevePeters wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think they can be converted outside the program, because their format is proprietary. What you'd need to do is to load the files in draftchoice and save them or export them to dxf, then you can open them in one of the other programs you mentioned.

I could be wrong, and there might be a way to do it, that I am not aware of, so you may want to contact the company directly and ask them.
Thanks for the speedy response, Steve. I believe I just figured out how to convert one file at a time. You can "export" the files in other formats, you just have to be very cautious of what you are doing; it's not the typical "Save As" function in Windows, but very close. Doesn't seem like there are any converters out there to do large batches of files at a time. Going to have to do this the long way. If anyone has any other suggestions, please advise. Thanks!
StevePeters
Casual User
Casual User

Post by StevePeters »

Gene45 wrote:The one major difference appears to be that Draftsight will draw in isometric. I'm not sure how useful that will be.
For certain applications, this is VERY useful!