DCWIN.EXE Installed under WINE on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit

Info on how to get free copies of TRIUS' CAD programs DRAFTChoice for DOS and DRAFTChoice for Win (16-bit) and messages by users on how to use it. (Discontinued, but still used by many users)
Undersub56
New User
New User

DCWIN.EXE Installed under WINE on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit

Post by Undersub56 »

Hello out there! I now have Draft Choice on a WIN *.1.1 tablet for field work and ... on Ubuntu's latest LTS version 16.04 for desktop.
This was my first time with a WINE application and only one year into ubuntu itself. It has taken me 10 installs of dcwin.exe but it is now running just like it did in the day. This is with all fonts including TT's,Layers, and symbol files. I am not sure yet but it seems to allow for longer file names.

There were issues with directory locations ( working directory and drawings directory), menu items (tool bar) populating and menu fonts too small.
Attachments
Long file names
Long file names
DraftChoice3a.png (66.32 KiB) Viewed 54298 times
Layer Menu
Layer Menu
DraftChoice2a.png (42.79 KiB) Viewed 54298 times
Toolbars populated after file opened and menu font size fixed
Toolbars populated after file opened and menu font size fixed
DraftChoice1a.png (45.37 KiB) Viewed 54298 times
Ubuntu Desktop with DCWin launcher
Ubuntu Desktop with DCWin launcher
Desktop2017-02-281.png (65.45 KiB) Viewed 54298 times
BillRotando
Active User
Active User

Re: DCWIN.EXE Installed under WINE on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit

Post by BillRotando »

This is unbelievable. So, after all these years, DCWIN is still running on a newer device? It's a testament of the fact the bits and bites are agnostic of time, device, etc. If I remember what I read years ago correctly, the author was Paris Karahalios. He must have been some genius.
If at first you don't succeed, just give up and do something else