Best Project Mgmt Tool ?

Project Management, Agile Methodologies, Scrum, Software Development, Software Architecture Styles, Development Platforms, and more...
PatrickNorris
New User
New User

Best Project Mgmt Tool ?

Post by PatrickNorris »

What do you recommend for a good project management tool?

JIRA
TRELLO
BASECAMP
SMARTSHEETS
MS-PROJECT
PROWORKFLOW
OPENPROJECT

Of if you know of any websites that provide comparison, please provide.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often - W. Churchill
Tina.Robertson
New User
New User

Re: Best Project Mgmt Tool ?

Post by Tina.Robertson »

Those are all very different products and some are used in combination with each other because the serve different purposes. For example, MS-Project is great for scheduling and planning, but has no facilities for issues tracking, bug resolutions, etc. JIRA, on the other hand, is more of a Issues tracking product that is also used by Agile teams to track small scrum sprints, amost tracking each one as an issue to be resolved and TRELLO is just a kanban cards product, good for collaboration and *some* issue tracking. I see google focs in your list! That's not a PM tool, it's just a shared document platform, but provides no traceability, no history, no issue resolution... You might as well use excel to track the project (which some people do!).

At the end of the day, PM is usually achieved by the use of multiple tools in your list in combination. Many use MS-Project and JIRA, some use MS-Project and TRELLO, etc.

But I have also seen people managing projects with BASECAMP (of course augmented by some issue tracking program and usually *also* augmented by MS-PROJECT).
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Da Vinci
JimLombard
Casual User
Casual User

Post by JimLombard »

PatrickNorris wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:54 pm What do you recommend for a good project management tool?

JIRA
TRELLO
BASECAMP
SMARTSHEETS
MS-PROJECT
PROWORKFLOW
OPENPROJECT

Of if you know of any websites that provide comparison, please provide.
I have to echo some of the previous poster's comment sentiments. I have seen more projects go off track because they thought hey were using PM software while simply using some collaborative environment like BASECAMP or GOOGLE DOCS. It's just that saying you are using a PM program sounds so good and many (most?) users have no idea what PM is.
Luck is not a factor. Hope is not a strategy. Fear is not an option - James Cameron
Bill_WG
Casual User
Casual User

Post by Bill_WG »

JimLombard, don't be so critical. Just because you don't think so, is someone thinks that BASECAMP is PM software and it helps them manage their projects, then that's the right tool for them.

I don't understand why people think *their* preferred software is the best and anything else is not good :-(
Fedya Rovic
Active User
Active User

Post by Fedya Rovic »

I like using SMARTSHEETS, but like Bill_WG said, if you are comfortable with a tool and it does what you want it to do, i.e., manage a project, then it is the right tool for the job.

And, there is nothing wrong with google docs! Use them ALL THE TIME.
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense", G. Stein
JimLombard
Casual User
Casual User

Post by JimLombard »

Sorry if I came off too critical. Problem is I believe that is someone is doing something wrong, you need to tell them straight! That's the only way to help them, not by sugarcoating everything.

One can use whatever the want for PM, even paper and pen, if that's what they are comfortable with, I agree. But, if someone asks what is the best database program to use and if typing all their data in MS-WORD is a solution, I think you need to tell them, loud and clear that MS-WORD is NOT a database program. Otherwise you are not helping them.
Luck is not a factor. Hope is not a strategy. Fear is not an option - James Cameron
Bill_WG
Casual User
Casual User

Post by Bill_WG »

Jim, once again. BASECAMP is an excellent PM package, especially if it does all you need done! It has tasks, documents, notifications, schedules, calendars, todo lists, etc. If you are going to make comments like that, then you should be able to provide some backup to your claims, right? What do you have against it?
AaronRT
Casual User
Casual User

Post by AaronRT »

Just adding my 2 cents here , and possibly fanning the fire :-)

TRELLO and Basecamp are very good collaboration platforms, but they are not PM software products in the pure PM Software definition.
If it takes you too long to refactor than you are not refactoring enough!
JimLombard
Casual User
Casual User

Post by JimLombard »

O.K., I am sure that all (most ?) of us have better things to do than to argue about the best PM software. I will just summarize my thoughts in this last message and will move on :-)

the consensus on PM related message boards is that BASECAMP was primarily developed to manage WEB designer/agency projects. As such it did an OK job, it was simple to use, users didn't really need to understand PM principles to use it, it had a modern interface, etc. which made it very popular in that rnvironment.

There have been a lot of enhancements, but, even BASECAMP 3 does not have any add-ins or integrations or an open API. This is something that is nowadays seen as a drawback, since Basecamp has a few missing areas where integrating with another product might help. For example, it would be nice if there was an add-in for some kind of a timing solution, and the lack of traditional calendar is irritating.

Take a look at the info below and form your own opinion.

Here is what PC-MAG had to say
Basecamp is an online collaboration app, where people discuss and manage projects, events, or other work they're getting done together.

PROS
Fair, flat monthly price. Supports a wide variety of integrations with other apps and services.

CONS
Interface design leads to rabbit-holing. Instant messages too compartmentalized. Weak reporting options.

BOTTOM LINE
Basecamp gives teams an online hub for basic collaboration. But the layout of the app isn't conducive to productivity, and it only has rudimentary tools.

And here is what is on CAPTERRA.COM ( The Smart Way to Find Business Software) - Basecamp User comments
Cons: I feel like it's missing some basic functionality that is useful in any task management software (for example, calendar views, recurring tasks, task dependencies) so we don't work as efficiently as we could.

As a matter of fact, go to CAPTERRA and select some proucts (like JIRA Amsrtsheets, and Basecamp) and look at the comparison. You'll immediately see what this product is lacking from a PM stand point.

Cons: One of my major cons with this is that it's too basic. Adding people into a post can be time consuming and it can look too overwhelming if you have too many checklist/posts.
PatrickNorris
New User
New User

Post by PatrickNorris »

Wow! The last thing I wanted was to start a war :-) All I wanted was some advise as to what people here think is a good PM package.

So, I guess not use BASECAMP, or google docs, or Trello? Is MS-Project what I should be using?
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often - W. Churchill
AaronRT
Casual User
Casual User

Post by AaronRT »

PatrickNorris wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:56 pm Wow! The last thing I wanted was to start a war :-) All I wanted was some advise as to what people here think is a good PM package.

So, I guess not use BASECAMP, or google docs, or Trello? Is MS-Project what I should be using?
Don't listen to what people post here. I am not saying they are wrong, but everyone judges software by their needs and their likes. If BASECAMP fits your needs, just use it and ignore the comments here.

That's what I would do.
If it takes you too long to refactor than you are not refactoring enough!
Bill_WG
Casual User
Casual User

Post by Bill_WG »

I found a bunch of info on-line. Here is a comparison of PM tools (Basecamp is included).

https://www.paymoapp.com/blog/top-proje ... ent-tools/

And here are a couple of documents you may find helpful.
Attachments
agile_tools.pdf
(478.8 KiB) Downloaded 1495 times
PM_Tools_Carey_2011 ahima.pdf
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 1428 times